Sunday, August 06, 2006

Civics Lessons from Video Games

While playing Civilization IV, I came across a quote from one of the founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin (for those interested, for each new technology researched an appropriately matched quote is read by Leonard Nimoy) :

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I do not think that this quote needs much explanation as to why I chose it. It is as wise now as it was then and eerily apropos to current events in our country. All I will add is this: Living in fear is no way to live. (I'm sure someone has already said that, too.)

Interestingly enough, this was misquoted in Civ IV and I only found that out today (8/9/06). For more quotes from the wise statesman, founding father, patriot, and womanizer, take a look here: BrainyQuote.com

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At Sun Aug 06, 11:09:00 PM EDT, Blogger Charles said...

As a side note, when I was editing this post using the Blogger spellchecker it tried to replace the unknown "womanizer" with "homemaker". Irony at its finest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home